Monday, June 22, 2009

Paris

June 21

Well we made it through check in and now I have an hour and a half to blow before our flight takes off. Our mothers were both crying as we left. Next, we had to sit through quite the ordeal while we were trying to go through security because some kid was screaming at the top of his lungs the entire time. He kept running away every time they tried putting him through the metal detector. We got through it though and then proceeded to get lost and got yelled at while trying to find our way back to wave goodbye. I’m not sure how we will navigate in the cities if we can’t make it 100 yards down the airport terminal without getting lost (haha…as if my mom wasn’t worried enough). Well I don’t want to wear the laptop battery down too much because we don’t know how long it will be before we can charge it again. See everyone in 62 days!

June 22

(6:30 Icelandic Time) We just landed in Reykjavik, Iceland where everything seems quite weird. We had less than three hours of darkness on the way over so we actually saw the sun set and rise within three hours. The airport in almost right on the coastline so all we saw was water on our decent. After we landed we could see nothing but green and purple for miles. They have no trees here but have fields of purple wild flowers blossoming right now. They speak their own native language of Icelandic which remains almost identical to the language of the Vikings. The total population of Iceland is 300,000 people with 60% of them living within Reykjavik. I wish I could claim to know this information first hand, but I got all these details from the plane ride over since I couldn’t watch any movies without headphones.

We leave for Paris in about an hour so I will hopefully make a post then.

(20:30 French Time) We searched for about 3 or 4 hours for a place to stay in Paris and finally found a super-tiny hotel room to stay in. My shoulders hurt like I’ve never felt before from carrying about 50 pounds for well over ten miles on foot. We were able to check out the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Eiffel Tower, and a few other neat places though. The hotel has internet and is right next to the Eiffel Tower and a McDonald’s, so I’m sure we won’t be straying too far tonight. I am currently trying to upload some pictures and videos to facebook, so hopefully it works.

4 comments:

  1. I love this!!! Hope we see the Eiffel Tower in some pix tomorrow! Have a goodnite rest. LOVE YOU MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a blast! Is is super hot over there right now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are keeping us updated. I hope you keep up the good work throughout the whole trip :-) Matt says hopefully you'll be teaching a European history class. He also said that you should try Panache beer (pronounced PAH-NAH-SHAY)or Desperados. Ask Seb :-)
    Love ya lots! Enjoy the trip.

    Kendyl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blaise, love the blog! I will definitely be following your stories, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete